MICK MARS Says He Will Work On Solo Album, Book After MÖTLEY CRÜE Calls It Quits

Image

Jessica Jackson of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada’s Best Rock, 100.3 The Bear, conducted an interview with MÖTLEY CRÜE guitarist Mick Mars earlier this week.

MÖTLEY CRÜE announced at a Los Angeles press conference on Tuesday (January 28) that the band will launch its “Final Tour” later this year, with the group planning to play 72 shows in North America in 2014 and more overseas in 2015. Making it official, the four members of the band had their lawyer draw up a formal “cessation of touring” agreement that goes into effect at the end of 2015 and prohibits the members of the group from going on the road again under the MÖTLEY CRÜE banner.

Asked what he plans on doing after MÖTLEY CRÜE retires from touring, Mars said: “A solo record. People have been asking me for that for years and years and years. And ‘Why hasn’t Mick written a book?’ So that, of course, is gonna be in the works. I haven’t started anything or figured out who I want to write with me, or help me write it. But doing that kind of a thing. Putting together, probably, a cool band with some cool friends of mine and stuff, and going out and doing some… you know, a few weeks here and a few weeks there, touring… but not as the MICK MARS BAND; I won’t do that. [laughs] You’ll see, like, a name, and you’ll go, ‘Hey, who’s that?’ ‘I don’t know’ That’s the name of the band.”

Singer Vince Neil was asked why the band decided to call it quits now after more than 30 years. “We started talking about it a few years ago,” he said. “You know, we didn’t want to be one of those bands that maybe have one guy left in it or somebody’s brother or something like that. You know, we wanted to be — we want to go out with the four founding members of MÖTLEY CRÜE and go out on top, and leave a legacy of a band called MÖTLEY CRÜE.”

The special guest on the entire North American tour will be ALICE COOPER, marking the first time that the legendary shock rocker and the CRÜE will join forces live.

“The Final Tour” will kick off on July 2 in Grand Rapids, Michigan, with tickets for 60 of the shows going on sale Wednesday (January 29) to fan club members.

VIP ticket packages were made available to the general public on Thursday (January 30) at 10:00 a.m. local time. The general public ticket sale for most shows starts on Friday (January 31). All tickets and packages can be obtained via Ticketmaster.com.

In an effort to allow all fans a chance to see the tour, some ticket prices may be kept as low as $15 or $20.

The band will head overseas for the international portion of the trek in 2015.

No mention was made of whether the CRÜE will record a new album to go along with the tour, although the group hinted at the possibility.

TESLA To Record ‘Eight Or Nine’ New Songs Next Week

Image

California rockers TESLA will enter the studio on Monday, February 3 to record eight or nine new songs, to be included on the band’s forthcoming album. Right now, the band is going through each song, working on all the details of the parts, including the tempos.

A new TESLA song, “Taste My Pain”, was released last summer via iTunes and Amazon. The track was recorded during a two-day (June 5-6, 2013) session at J Street Recorders in Sacramento, with plans to include it on the upcoming CD. According to the group, “It’s a heavier song with a hard-driving beat and TESLA trademark blazing guitars.”

TESLA‘s latest album, “Twisted Wires And The Acoustic Sessions”, was released in July 2011 via Scarlet Records. The CD featured six songs that were recorded back in 2005 at bassist Brian Wheat‘s J Street Recorders studio — which also served as the last recordings with original member Tommy Skeoch — and six newly recorded tracks, including acoustic remakes of songs from TESLA‘s entire catalog and two brand new songs, “Second Street” and “Better Off Without You”.

TESLA released a live album, “Alive In Europe!”, in Europe on April 23, 2010 via Frontiers Records.

TESLA‘s latest studio album, “Forever More”, sold more than 16,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 33 on The Billboard 200 chart. The CD was released on October 7, 2008 on Tesla Electric Company Recordings. The European version of the album, which was made available on November 7, 2008 via Frontiers Records, contains two bonus tracks not found on the American version.

METALLICA’s JAMES HETFIELD Says ORION MUSIC + MORE Festival Has Been A Financial ‘Disaster’

Image

On January 27, Don Jantzen of the KTBZ-FM (also known as 94.5 The Buzz) alternative rock radio station in Houston, Texas conducted an interview with METALLICA guitarist/vocalist James Hetfield.

Asked when METALLICA fans in the United States can expect to see the band on the road here again, Hetfield said: “You know what? We keep going back to Europe for summer festivals. People keep offering us headline spots over there. [We’re going to] South America this year.”

He continued: “I don’t know what’s happening the States.

“The States has gotta step up and want their music.

“I’m not sure what’s going on in the States as far as rock and metal goes and concert-wise, but there’s not really any willingness to get a big show out there and make it worthwhile to actually get out there and play. You see other bands gathering up six different bands just to go out and play.

“It’s pretty tough in North America.”

He added: “Right now, it seems like metal is struggling a little bit in the States. Obviously, the Orion [Music + More] festival that we had tried to do the last couple of years has really not been… Gosh, it’s been a disaster financially, and it’s not able to happen again because of that. So it’s a bummer. So, you know, we’re doing what we can to keep being alive here. And I hope to get out and play in the States. It seems like forever since we’ve been out and about. You know, we’ve hit the coasts and we’ve done TV stuff and things like that. But it will happen again. So hopefully, to get your fix, you’re able to get the [‘Metallica Through The Never’] DVD and sit there and headbang with your friends.”

Last June’s Orion event at Belle Isle in Detroit drew at least 40,000 people over the course of two days to see METALLICARED HOT CHILI PEPPERSDEFTONESSILVERSUN PICKUPSRISE AGAINST and more.

The band moved the event to Detroit after holding the inaugural edition in Atlantic City, New Jersey in 2012.

METALLICA was previously said to be contracted to host the band’s Orion Music + More festival for two more years in Detroit, according to MLive.com.

Drummer Lars Ulrich said last year in a radio interview, “Detroit was a great experience. We’d love to bring this thing back to Detroit. We’ve gotta sit down and look at the practical parts of it… It’s not an easy thing to launch a festival, but we’ve had a lot of fun the last two years doing it, and we hope to bring it back to Detroit.”

METALLICA surprised fans at Orion Music + More on June 8, 2013 by playing its 1983 debut disc “Kill ‘Em All” from beginning to end on a smaller stage at the event. METALLICA was officially announced to play a headlining set on June 9 to close out the festival, but hit the stage at 4:30 p.m. one day earlier for a 10-song set that started with “Hit The Lights” and finished out with “Metal Militia”.

The afternoon slot was officially taken by an “act” called DEHAAN — which METALLICA fans may have recognized as the name of actor Dane DeHaan, who is starring in the band’s 3D movie, “Metallica Through The Never”. Another hint was dropped when Hetfield posted a message on Instagram which read, “Don’t miss Dehaan! #MUYA #mff #UwillRegretMissingThem #IfUdoUmightKillEmAll #winkWink #getIt?”

Hetfield came onstage first to introduce “DEHAAN,” after which the rest of the members of METALLICA came out and began playing.

At the first Orion festival in 2012, METALLICA played both 1991’s self-titled “black album” and 1984’s “Ride The Lightning” in their entirety on separate nights.

FOZZY’s RICH WARD Says New Album Will Capture Groovy Metal Spirit That Defined STUCK MOJO

Image

FOZZY, the band featuring WWE wrestling superstar Chris Jericho alongside members of STUCK MOJO, has entered a studio in the northern suburbs of Atlanta, Georgia to begin recording its new album for a tentative late spring/early summer release via Century Media Records.

Comments FOZZY guitarist Rich “The Duke” Ward: “I’ve been making records with Frank [FontsereFOZZY and STUCK MOJO drummer] since we were kids, and this, on so many levels, looks likely to be the best of our career.

“We made a decision to go back to our roots, capturing the groovy metal spirit that defined our early career in STUCK MOJO.

“It’s so easy to make records like this, because it’s what we do best, and these old shoes feel good, baby.

“While we are working in our studio bunker, I’m getting daily phone updates from Jericho and management, about all kinds of amazing touring news for later this year.

“Gonna be a great year.”

FOZZY‘s latest album, “Sin And Bones”, sold around 3,400 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 143 on the Billboard 200 chart. The CD landed at position No. 1 on the Top New Artist Albums (Heatseekers) chart, which lists the best-selling albums by new and developing artists, defined as those who have never appeared in the Top 100 of The Billboard 200.

In an August 2013 interview with ARTISTdirectJericho stated about FOZZY‘s last CD: “We worked really hard on ‘Sin And Bones’. We had a lot of momentum with the ‘Chasing The Grail’ record in 2010, and we wanted to keep it going. It was our debut on Century Media, which is the biggest record company we’ve ever been on, and we knew this was our chance to take things to the next level.

“We really focused on making ‘Sin And Bones’ our ‘Black Album.’ What I mean by that is the ‘Black Album’ [by METALLICA] is a very cohesive record from start to finish. It takes you on a journey. All of the songs have a similar vibe, even though they’ve got different styles. We wanted that for ‘Sin And Bones’. We wanted to make a very groove-oriented dark kind of record you could listen to from the first song to the last and it would take you on a journey. It was meant to be listened to in sequence. Whenever you can do that, it becomes a memorable piece of work. With the reviews we got and the response, it was the highest-charting, biggest-selling, and best-reviewed of our career so far.”

STONE TEMPLE PILOTS Pull Out Of SOUNDWAVE To Focus On Completing New Album

Image

STONE TEMPLE PILOTS have canceled their previously announced participation in the Soundwave festival in Australia, which is scheduled to kick off on February 22 in Brisbane. According to a posting on the Soundwave web site, “The recording of the new [STONE TEMPLE PILOTS] album has now gone beyond schedule and, sadly, the availability of the recording studio, engineers and the producer or lack thereof dictates that the band have had to cancel their upcoming engagements.”

“High Rise”, the latest EP from STONE TEMPLE PILOTS, sold 12,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No. 24 on The Billboard 200 chart. The CD arrived in stores on October 8, 2013 via Play Pen/ADA.

“High Rise” is STONE TEMPLE PILOTS‘ first new disc with singer Chester Bennington, who replaced original frontman Scott Weiland last year. Although the EP contains just five songs, Bennington told The Pulse Of Radio that coming up with music together was not a problem. “After our very first initial kind of let’s sit down, you know, officially kind of shake hands and say we’re doing this, I think by the time we got home, we were already like coming up with ideas,” he said. “Within a couple of days we had nine or 10 demos that we were kicking around and I knew the second that I got the memo from Robert [DeLeo, bass], he was playing ‘Out Of Time’, the main riff, and it was like, I mean melodies just started coming.”

“Out Of Time” was released last summer and vaulted to the top of the Active Rock radio chart.

Other tracks on the new disc include “Black Heart”“Cry, Cry” and “Tomorrow”.

STP fired Weiland in February 2013, claiming that his own solo activities and erratic behavior were detrimental to the band.

The group later sued Weiland, with the singer firing off a countersuit and claiming that they could not use the band name without his involvement.

STONE TEMPLE PILOTS last fall completed its first North American tour with Bennington on the mic. In the meantime, Bennington returned to the studio with his main act, LINKIN PARK.

MICK MARS: ‘I’m Gonna Be Touring A Long Time After MÖTLEY CRÜE’

Image

MÖTLEY CRÜE guitarist Mick Mars has once again dismissed reports that his poor health is partly to blame for the band’s decision to retire from touring.

MÖTLEY CRÜE announced at a Los Angeles press conference on Tuesday (January 28) that the band will launch its “Final Tour” later this year, with the group planning to play 72 shows in North America in 2014 and more overseas in 2015. Making it official, the four members of the band had their lawyer draw up a formal “cessation of touring” agreement that goes into effect at the end of 2015 and prohibits the members of the group from going on the road again under the MÖTLEY CRÜE banner.

Speaking to Artisan News, MÖTLEY CRÜE members Mick Mars and Tommy Lee (drums) were asked to explain the reason for the band’s decision to quit touring.

“You know, at some point, your work here is done,” Lee said. “We’ve proven it to ourselves, we’ve proven it our fans, we’ve outdone ourselves. I mean, there’s not much left for us to do but go say goodbye to everybody.”

Added Mars: “I mostly get the health-reason thing. It’s because I have ankylosing spondylitis, and you can physically see that in me, ’cause it distorts your body. It’s a form of rheumatoid arthritis. I’m not gonna go too much into it, but I’m just explaining how it is. It doesn’t stop me from touring — I’m gonna be touring a long time after MÖTLEY CRÜE. It is a bit of an inconvenience; sometimes it’s rougher than other times. But my health is perfect. I mean, I go every six months to get a checkup. And I’m in really good shape and good health. The only thing is you can see what I have. Luckily… I feel lucky about that. ‘Cause a lot of people have heart disease and other stuff like that and they don’t even know it. And they keel over on stage or whatever… That would be scary to me.”

Singer Vince Neil was asked why the band decided to call it quits now after more than 30 years. “We started talking about it a few years ago,” he said. “You know, we didn’t want to be one of those bands that maybe have one guy left in it or somebody’s brother or something like that. You know, we wanted to be — we want to go out with the four founding members of MÖTLEY CRÜE and go out on top, and leave a legacy of a band called MÖTLEY CRÜE.”

The special guest on the entire North American tour will be ALICE COOPER, marking the first time that the legendary shock rocker and the CRÜE will join forces live.

“The Final Tour” will kick off on July 2 in Grand Rapids, Michigan, with tickets for 60 of the shows going on sale Wednesday (January 29) to fan club members.

VIP ticket packages will be made available to the general public on Thursday (January 30) at 10:00 a.m. local time. The general public ticket sale for most shows starts on Friday (January 31). All tickets and packages can be obtained via Ticketmaster.com.

In an effort to allow all fans a chance to see the tour, some ticket prices may be kept as low as $15 or $20.

The band will head overseas for the international portion of the trek in 2015.

No mention was made of whether the CRÜE will record a new album to go along with the tour, although the group hinted at the possibility.

HELLYEAH’s Fourth Album Pushed Back To May

Image

Drummer Vinnie Paul Abbott (HELLYEAHPANTERADAMAGEPLAN) was interviewed by ddrum at this year’s NAMM (National Association Of Music Merchants) show, which was held January 23-26 at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California. You can now watch the chat below.

Asked about the current status of HELLYEAHVinnie Paul said: “The new HELLYEAH record’s done. It was completed last week. It comes out May 15. Our touring starts April 12 — a big show in Phoenix with AVENGED SEVENFOLD, which is gonna be amazing. And I’m just looking forward to some good stuff next year, man. You’ll be seeing me all over the United States, Canada, Europe, Japan, South America, Australia… We’re coming to see you. 2014 is the year of HELLYEAH!”

HELLYEAH‘s fourth studio album will be released via Eleven Seven Music. The CD was helmed by producer Kevin Churko at his The Hideout Recording Studio in Las Vegas, Nevada. Churko is the Canadian musician, sound engineer, songwriter and record producer who has previously worked with OZZY OSBOURNEFIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH and IN THIS MOMENT, among other acts.

Abbott called the band’s new material “heavy and diverse” and promised that the album would contain HELLYEAH‘s “very best” music to date. He added: “It was an honor working with Kevin. He really pushed and got the best out of us. Everything we did on this record was from a different perspective.”

HELLYEAH‘s first three albums were laid down in Dallas, Texas at Vinnie Paul Abbott‘s home studio, VP’s Upstairs Studio.

HELLYEAH took part in last year’s edition of Gigantour, the critically acclaimed package festival founded in 2005 by MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine. Also appearing on the bill were headliners MEGADETH, along with BLACK LABEL SOCIETYDEVICENEWSTED and DEATH DIVISION.

“Band Of Brothers” sold 19,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 19 on The Billboard 200 chart.